Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekend Recap: The DIY project that never happened.

Hi All,

I hope you all had an enjoyable and restful weekend. In NY after days and days of grey skies we finally had some sunshine to celebrate the almost end of the summer!

I kept toying back and forth on whether or not I would fill the weekend with house projects or relaxation. Since I'm still waiting on the arrival of some items I had to make my weekend a mixed bag of both.

Saturday morning was spent in bed watching this:



and this:



I totally felt guilty staying in and watching cheesy TV for the morning, but it was fun and helped me unwind from a crazy week. Don't worry about Jon I didn't make him watch all that TV with me. He was off sky diving so when he returned we ate a late late breakfast and got to work.

Our excitement for the rest of the day was weeding the back and front yard and heading to home depot to get supplies to re-seed the yard.

On Sunday I had a bunch of little projects that needed to get done. Throughout the year I always pick up frames that I find on clearance or at thrift store. Well now I have a place to use them, but they are all the wrong color. So Sunday was spent prepping many, many, many frames and getting them spray painted.

We also tried doing a little DIY project to have something to show for our weekend, but it didn't go so well.

Last week I bought this lamp at a thrift store:



I kept going back and forth over whether I loved it or hated it, but finally decided it was love and snatched it up while 3 ladies who had been browsing came to the register and pleaded their sadness that they hadn't seen it and wanted it. Ah victory! I finally didn't second think things for too long and got the deal.

It came with this lampshade:



I was going to trash it right away, but Jon figured it would be easy to just remove the accordion fan type cover and cover it in fabric. Nice, easy DIY project and something probably lots of people had in their house and would want to re-do.

So we started to simply pull it apart:



Here it is off of the lampshade:



Ha ha I swear I didn't tell Jon to do that. He did it on his own. Perhaps I've driven the man crazy with all of my projects. :)

Now if we hadn't had a snag we would have used some spray glue to apply some new fabric on the lampshade and then finish off the top and bottom with some ribbon trim and hot glue gun, but this happened:



Again he totally did this on his own! Apparently when Jon was pulling the accordion piece of of the lamp shade some of the glue was really stuck and bam we started to get holes on the shade.

Oh well you can't win them all!

What were you up to this weekend or more importantly what are you doing this coming weekend to celebrate the end of summer?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Splendid Sass said...

Love the lamp! Have a great week.
Teresa

August 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger McKenzie said...

Don't feel bad, I spent a good amount of time watching Cupcake Girls as well! Love those two.

August 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger HirondelleRustique said...

What a funny picture! I had a DIY project that didn't happen also, I was trying to stain a headboard (a project I've been trying to finish for a year!) and it wasn't coming out dark enough so I just put a bunch of stain on it and didn't wipe it off thinking it was the perfect color, well it's the next day and it's still not dry! *sigh* Guess I'll have to put it off for another week. Such is life! Hope you have a great weekend!

August 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Kate Collins Interiors said...

I tried the same thing on a lamp shade and I also tore a hole in it. Oh well. It looks like you had a fun weekend and I love the lamp!

August 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Love that you had a little work and a little relaxing. All that was missing is a glass of wine :-)

Your husband is amazing to do all your projects with you. You are super fortunate!

August 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I did the same exact thing when I was pulling apart my lampshade that is a twin to yours- now i need to find a new one :)

August 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger Nicole-Lynn said...

haha cute pics! I love watching girly shows.. when I'm feeling the most stressed or need 'me' time they're the best :)

August 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger jisabird said...

Hahaha! Very cute pics. I know the feeling though. I finally had to clear off my dining room table of unfinished DIY to make room for WORK!

The economy is cutting into my DIY. So many art supply stores cutting way back on their stock and leaving me with a few unfinished projects just waiting for me to find a large foil gold star sticker and a large rectangular shaped hole punch;)

Cheers!
J.

August 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger KJZW said...

oh my goodness I spent Saturday in bed watching the exact same thing!

August 30, 2010 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger ###### said...

girl your man looks great with that shade! LOL...I need to get mine one..

August 31, 2010 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Matters of Style said...

Love that lamp, awesome!

August 31, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home